No matter if you are the biggest humbug you can't hide from the fact that Christmas is just over 2 weeks away. The streets are glistening with an array of colourful lights, our homes are blessed with the beauty of our Christmas trees, oh yes, and you may be frantically stressed trying to get your Christmas shopping done. But whether you are an addict of all things festive or a distant relative of Scrooge we will show you how to Eat, Sleep, Live your way to Christmas.
There is only one way in our opinion that you can Eat your way to Christmas and that is combining two of our favourite things, our love for wood and chocolate. The Christmas Chocolate Log dates back, to the tradition of the Yule Log in the medieval era. It is not known how the tradition of burning a Yule Log then transformed into a cake, but either way, no Christmas would be complete in our house without a Chocolate Log. With so many recipes to choose from, with top bakers such as Mary Berry and Nigella Lawson each having their on take on this traditional dish, which recipe do you choose? We decided to stick to one created by the giant of British chocolate, Cadbury.
Ingredients3 Medium eggs 75 g caster sugar 75 g plain flour caster sugar for dusting 100 g butter softened 100 g icing sugar 25 g Cadbury Bournville Cocoa 75 g Cadbury Dairy Milk melted Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Grease and line the Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- Using an electric hand mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until thick and creamy and leaves a trail. Sieve the flour and cocoa together and fold into the mixture carefully with 1 tbsp hot water, trying not to knock out too much air.
- Place into the prepared tin and tilt to level the mixture, making sure it goes right into the corners. Bake for 10-12 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Dust a large piece of baking parchment with caster sugar and turn the sponge out onto it. Trim off the hard edges and make a dent along the width, 1cm in. From this end, roll it up with the paper in the middle. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy and then beat in the melted chocolate. Unroll the sponge, spread over 1/3 the butter icing and up roll again.
- Cut a small portion of the Swiss roll off and place to one side of the log to form a branch and then cover the whole cake with the remaining icing, marking with a fork to look like a log. Decorate with Christmas decorations, pieces of Cadbury Flake or simply dust with icing sugar.
- If your mattress is due for an upgrade, make sure you check out our fantastic Pocket Sprung Mattress With Memory Foam, it is the perfect companion for the perfect night's sleep. [caption id="attachment_6319" align="aligncenter" width="620"]Pocket Sprung Mattress With Memory Foam[/caption]
- Christmas is the season of scents, think of the smell of your tree and the rich aromas of mulled wine. Light a candle of your favourite festive scent and let the smells of Christmas fill your room.
- Nothing gets you ready to relax than a long hot bubble bath, create the perfect atmosphere with dimmed lights, candles and of course, some festive tunes.
- After you feel all fresh, jump into a pair of seasonal pajamas. Come on, we know you have a pair hiding for your eyes only, we promise we won't tell!
- Climb into bed and relax with your favourite Christmas film, maybe you rave about the iconic Home Alone or are you a lover of the romantic, Love Actually? Whatever your favourite, there is nothing better to get you into the mood than a Christmas Movie.