At Eat Sleep Live we really value Eco Friendly living. We've all read enough about Eco Homes to know that they're not just important for lessening the impact on the environment, but that they can be stunning places to live too. The Eco way is not just for hippies (like some people think) but it is fastly becoming a strong buying decision for many home hunters. Most new homes have some 'eco' touches, take my home for example, we have solar panels, an internal airflow system, a water but and compost. These touches may not be as significant as other eco homes on the market, but it goes to show our growing desire for sustainable living. For those seeking an eco home it can be challenging. Many estate agents are still not up to speed on Eco Homes. Unfortunately, if you look in the window of the average high-street estate agent, you will not yet see a list of local eco-homes for sale. Luckily we’re seeing a recent rise in a new breed Eco Estate Agent, who are knowledgeable in Eco Homes. They also help and inspire clients to improve their homes by having solar installed or a biomass boiler, or they will simply guide you on how to ‘Green Up’. Showing you that you can quite easily turn your home into a wonderful Eco dwelling. This will mean that in the near future we will be seeing more homes with Eco features on the market. Isn’t that great news? What if you don't want to sort out solar panels? or make the Eco improvements to your current home? What if you’re buying for the first time? Where can you look to buy an Eco Home? Well here’s a little bit of good news. There are a couple of property listing websites (not estate Agents) that specialise in listing Eco properties. Green Moves - All the properties on their site have environmentally friendly features and these are outlined in the details sections. Where a property has reached a particularly high standard you will see and those properties which are linked to our featured green developments are marked with a . Eco House Agent – This site also allows people to list their Eco Homes, so you can keep an eye on what’s coming onto the market. [caption id="attachment_5436" align="aligncenter" width="620"] The Green, St Andrews Court, Gullane, East Lothian[/caption] This Eco Home was on the market recently and is packed full of features:
- Living areas feature large areas of glazing to reduce reliance on artificial lighting and increase passive solar heat gain with high efficiency low E glazing systems.
- High levels of insulation to walls, floor and roof for greater energy efficiency.
- Energy efficient gas condensing boiler provides hot water and heating. The under floor heating system to the ground floor runs on a lower temperature than standard radiators and creates a warm ambience in the home.
- Solar voltaic panels are installed on the house roof, converting natural daylight into electricity. Where this creates more electrical energy than is consumed, the owners can sell the excess to the National Grid.
- Rolled zinc has been used for the roofing and the zinc cladding to the walls has low embodied energy and a lifespan of over 100 years, as well as being 100% recyclable.
- A sedum green roof system provides a highly efficient thermal insulation on the flat roof over the kitchen and snug.